His - Her Sharpie Mug DIY

  After seeing several projects floating around on Pinterest I decided to try the sharpie method for customizing a pair of his + her mugs ...

Sharpie dishes tutorial by A Beautiful Mess 
After seeing several projects floating around on Pinterest I decided to try the sharpie method for customizing a pair of his + her mugs (this set is super cute + this one is particularly beautiful). The directions listed on Pinterest kinda seemed too easy to be true... so I did a little testing. I even tried running them through the dishwasher and here's what I found out... 

Sharpie dishes tutorial 

Here's the method: All you need is a sharpie (any color) and a porcelain dish that you want to permanently alter. You can even use super cheap mugs from the dollar store to create gifts or party favors. Just draw on the surface of your mug and bake it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow them to cool completely before washing or using. 

Sharpie dishes how-to 

After I made my dishes I tried scrubbing them with a kitchen sponge and soap. They held up super well to hand washing. The design did not fade or scratch off at all. Next, I tried running them through the dishwasher. This didn't turn out so well, half of the design was gone when I took them out (don't worry, it's fixable!). So if you use this method to make dishes, remember that these dishes will need to be hand wash only! 
Anyway... that was my fun little weekend project. Hope your weekend is lovely! Elsie 

Although many people (including me) have had success with this DIY project we have received many comments from readers who said the marker washed off. I thought I would updated you with this info! The technique is easy and inexpensive, but it doesn't work for everyone (and I am not sure why). If you want a FOR SURE method, try Pebeo Markers instead! They are a little bit more pricey, but I have used mine quite a lot. Happy Crafting!

You Might Also Like

0 comments