5 Ways to Regain Motivation When You Are Discouraged

If you have a lack of motivation at work , What should you do to regain the motivation? Encourage yourself to get motivated to do anything a...

If you have a lack of motivation at work, What should you do to regain the motivation? Encourage yourself to get motivated to do anything as a businessman and entrepreneur.
Not long ago, the owner of a business that usually read my column asked me the following question:

5 Ways to Regain Motivation When You Are Discouraged
"I wonder, what do you do when your motivation levels are low as well as your self-esteem? What do you do to regain the motivation to continue with your plans and complete your tasks?

This is a big question, and the answer is:

First of all, let me say that I had never been so sure of what I say as now: motivation comes from within, not from the outside. No one can motivate you more than yourself. I mean long-term motivation. Many years ago, Frederick Herzberg wrote an article on motivation in the Harvard Business Review; In it, said that others can motivate you, but only in the short term. I called this PELT ("Kick At The T... You Understand It").
Also read: 5 Ways to Stay Positive in Negative Situations

On the contrary, long-term motivation emanates from within. That leads to the question: as a business person, how can you stimulate you from the inside when your levels of motivation are found on the ground?

First, you must understand that practically all people must deal with this at some point in their careers. I have never met anyone who is immune to this (and I certainly am not). So what do I do as a businessman and as an entrepreneur when I feel low spirits?
Also read: 10 Tips on How to Get Motivated as an Entrepreneur

Here are some of the things that have helped me to motivate myself to work hard:

1. Minimize contact with negative people. 

This is not always possible, but do it whenever you can. At least, do it for a short period. Surely you have run into people who complain about absolutely everything. Stay away from them as you try to regain your spirits.

Spend more time with people who recharge you. They say you become the five or six people you most relate to, and I think it's true. So connect to individuals who push you to be better in all aspects of your life.

3. Read / listen / see positive things.

 If you feel down, read a real book. Listen to an audiobook or podcast with a positive message. Watch a movie that makes you laugh. Surround yourself with things that have a positive influence on you. Incorporate these words into your life as much as you can.

4. Learn to prioritize. 

Give priority to the things you should and want to do. Make a list. As a businessman, I live on the lists. The more control I can exercise over the things I want and should do, I can solve them better.

5. Eat the elephant one bite at a time. 

Take that list you created and open it every day. If you really commit to it, you'll be amazed at how much you can get. The more you do, the better you will feel. This will fuel your motivation.

You can do much more things to generate motivation, but I think this list is a good start. Also, keep in mind: if your motivation levels are low, it is always helpful to try to get out of the picture, that is, the daily routine, and try to visualize the complete image. Ask yourself, why are you doing what you are doing? Allow yourself to be encouraged by a greater vision of things, and let your goals drive you.

You Might Also Like

0 comments