I’ve Decided to Attempt to Build an Android App

Today I’ve finally decided that I wanted to learn how to make Android applications (apps) from scratch, and thought it would be good to d...


Today I’ve finally decided that I wanted to learn how to make Android applications (apps) from scratch, and thought it would be good to document my journey from nothing (as an Android app developer) to hero or bust, or somewhere in between.

I’m not going to spend a whole lot of time telling you about myself, specially since you can learn more than you want to know in the about me section. The one thing I will tell you is that I run my own web consulting business, manage over two dozen websites, have an 8 month old baby at home and a full time job (40+ hours a week).

Build an Android App

If you haven’t figured it out, the reason I’m sharing this with you, is that time is precious and limited, which is the case with many people. With all the things I’ve mentioned above, I’ve managed to dedicate about 30-60 minutes a day, 5 days a week, to this project.

Ideally my time will be spent between 7 am and 8 am Eastern Time since I’m based in Montreal, Quebec.
If you know me, or have read any of my past posts, you know I have been a BlackBerry user and enthusiast for a long time, and that hasn’t changed, however my current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android, and until BB10 comes out and I can see how it compares, that won’t change since I’ve never been happier with any electronic device I’ve ever owned than I am with the S3.
I have ideas for about a dozen Android apps, but I don’t want to get ahead of myself, I’m really not in a rush.

I’m so not in a rush, that I’m going to go through Google’s training for Android Development, I’ve downloaded the SDK (Software Development Kit) which is included in the ADT (Android Developer Tools) Bundle for Windows, it’s about 389 MB.
That’s it for today, tomorrow the real work starts, and I will be back with an update on what I’ve done and how it’s going. Feel free to try and do this with me, and keep me posted on your thoughts, suggestions and questions in the comments, or by contacting me.

You Might Also Like

0 comments